About the Book — Photography of Puerto Rican Culture
Así Somos | Who We Are is a photography book with text that shows the diversity and richness of Puerto Rican Culture. More than 10 years in the making, it combines the visual possibilities of photography with the valuable context and background available by way of the written word, all in an attractively designed package. These are just some of the many highlights of Así Somos | Who We Are:
- Bilingual text: Acknowledging the dual languages of Puerto Rico and its Diaspora and of the audiences for the book, Así Somos | Who We Are is presented with both English- and Spanish-language text for readers. Written by Ada Nivia Lopez, the text offers a window into the world depicted by the photography.
- Cultural knowledge: In aiming to capture as much of Puerto Rican life as possible, the authors provide a broad and far-ranging introduction to Puerto Rican culture. For those looking for a beautiful and informative Puerto Rican cultural photography book, Así Somos | Who We Are makes an excellent choice.
- Gorgeous photography: The photographs by Mark Joseph—more than 100 in total—are given the ideal presentation in this 186-page hardcover volume. From rich to poor and old to young, and in stunning color, these photographs capture every aspect of life and culture in Puerto Rico and its Diaspora.
- Great gift idea: Anyone interested in Puerto Rican life, the art of photography or just the scope of human experience as seen through a unique and perhaps unfamiliar place would enjoy receiving a copy of this book as a gift.
- Wonderful display book: Measuring 9.625” by 11.875” and presented in beautiful color and design by Antonio Martorell, Así Somos | Who We Are makes an ideal book for displaying on your shelves or your coffee table.
Concept and Text: Ada Nivia López
Photography: Mark Joseph
Design: Artist Antonio Martorell